The purpose of this M&C is to clarify and obtain approval on accessibility options at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden as presented June 18, 2019, by Assistant City Manager Susan Alanis and Botanic Garden Director Bob Byers.
On October 30, 2018, the City Council received a presentation and recommendations from the Fort Worth Botanic Garden Task Force including admission fee with various accessibility options and that governance of the Garden should transition to non-profit management. On November 13, 2018, City Council approved M&C G-19422, adopting recommendations of the Botanic Garden Task Force, establishing general admission fees, membership fees, and a financial accessibility program for the Botanic Garden. City staff was also authorized to pursue management of the Botanic Garden by a non-profit organization as recommended by the task force.
City Council approved M&C G-19422 with the following conditions:
1. Require City Council approval for any reductions or elimination of accessibility options;
2. Staff to evaluate various free admission times; and
3. Staff to work with other cultural institutions to evaluate and return to City Council with recommendation for additional accessibility programs before entrance fee implementation.
Based on additional research and review, including input from eight cultural institutions (Amon Carter Museum, Botanical Research Institute of Texas, Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge, Fort Worth Zoo, Kimbell Art Museum, Log Cabin Village, Museum of Modern Art, and Museum of Science and History), staff revised the Botanic Garden Task Force recommendations to the following.
- Family Membership - $80 (adjusted rate and add special needs adult children to family memberships)
- Lone Star Card Discounts (individuals with SNAP/WIC receive discounted family membership - $30; and with SNAP/WIC through Museum4All program - $1.00 adult admission and children under 15 years old are free)
- MusePass (free family passes available to check out in all City of Fort Worth public libraries)
- Sponsored Field Trips Program (fine-tune school group target grade to meet the needs of the districts)
- Return ticket for field trips students on free and reduced lunch
- Blue Star Program (free active military admission between Memorial Day and Labor Day)
- Family Community Pass Program (4,500 admission passes distributed through non-profits to distribute to their clients ensuring transportation is also available)
- ADD Free after-hour family and cultural events at least quarterly, growing to monthly over time
- ADD 2nd/4thMonday: free 1st hour in a.m. & last hour in p.m., residents only
- ADD One 1/2 price Saturday morning, 3 hours, per month
- ADD Children < 18 years: free 3:00 p.m - 6:00 p.m. every school day, residents only
The Fort Worth Botanic Garden is located in Council District 7 and serves the entire City.
A Form 1295 is not required for this contract because: This M&C does not request approval of a contract with a business entity.